Our students receive a 10% discount from:
Neil Wallace, 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949 St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992 Chapman & Bailey, 420 Johnston Street, Abbotsford Tel: (03) 9417 7957 MES, 33A St David St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 6292 You can purchase the complete kit ($100) directly from us or through any of the art shops listed above. Painting for Beginners recommends oils for beginners.
We also have a hire kit available for beginners for $50. (We supply everything you need for the duration of the course).
The Fitzroy Painting kit contains 5 tubes of Artist Quality oil paint, oil painting medium (low-toxic), a set of brushes and a palette knife.
Alternatively, you can shop around or you may already have some paints.
The following list will be sufficient to get you started; you may wish to add further materials as you go.
We use low-toxic, low-odour mediums and solvents in the studio as part of our OH&S safety program. Brush cleaning solvent, artists soaps and paper towelling are available for student use.
Try to buy reasonable quality materials as you will find them easier than student quality to work with. There are plenty of artist quality materials that are not much more in cost. Choose single pigment colours.
- Naphthol Red (PR112), Arylide Yellow (PY3), Ultramarine Blue (PB29)
- Titanium White (PW6)
- Burnt Sienna (PBR7)
- Low-toxic oil painting medium and solvent - we recommend Langridge
- A range of flat brushes, one each of sizes 6, 8, 10 and 12, one flat ‘paddle’ brush 4 cm wide and one small finer point brush.
- A palette knife for mixing colours.
- Roll of masking tape
- A3 oil sketch pad OR three A3 sheets of oil sketch paper